Hello, and welcome to MarshallBrain.com. I am glad you have found your way to this site and appreciate your taking the time to visit.
I am best known as the founder of How Stuff Works. I started HowStuffWorks as a hobby in 1998 and it has grown to be one of the top Web sites in the country. In 2007 Discovery Communications purchased HowStuffWorks.com for $250 million. I am also well known as the host of the show "Factory Floor" which appeared on the National Geographic channel.
I am known for the Robotic Nation essays and the book Manna. The article How to make a million dollars is also very popular. I am also known as a member of the Academy of Outstanding Teachers at North Carolina State University.
I have appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show, Good Morning America, the Dr. Oz show, CNN, MSNBC, Modern Marvels, etc. I have been interviewed for hundreds of different newspaper articles, magazine articles and radio shows. If you would like to schedule an interview, please click here.
Today I am a writer, a well-known national speaker, a consultant. I am an active participant in the entrepreneurial community in RTP as a mentor, coach, consultant and adviser. I teach in the Engineering Entrepreneurs Program at NCSU, I am very interested in a Basic Income and the concentration of wealth, I serve as the CEO of BA3, I work with Dr. Seth Hollar on EcoPRT (a envisioned automated transportation system for NCSU), I am on the board of directors for Dognition.com and The Walking Classroom, and so on. You can find my resume on LinkedIn. I live in Cary, N.C. with my wife Leigh and our four children. Contact information is available at the bottom of this page.
Upcoming Books in 2015
Marshall Brain's Newest Book:
The Second Intelligent Species: How Humans Will Become as Irrelevant as Cockroaches is Marshall Brain's latest book on planet Earth's robotic future and how it will affect the human race.
Right now, as far as we can tell, there is exactly one intelligent species in the universe and it is us: human beings. We currently see no evidence of any kind indicating that extraterrestrials exist outside of our solar system.
But at this moment, millions of engineers, scientists, corporations, universities and entrepreneurs are racing to create the second intelligent species right here on planet earth. And we can see the second intelligent species coming from all directions in the form of self-driving cars, automated call centers, chess-playing and Jeopardy-playing computers that beat all human players, airport kiosks, restaurant tablet systems, etc. The frightening thing is that these robots will soon be eliminating human jobs in startling numbers.
The first wave of unemployed workers is likely to be a million truck drivers who are replaced by self-driving trucks. Then what?
Marshall Brain's new book "The Second Intelligent Species: How Humans Will Become as Irrelevant as Cockroaches" explores how the future will unfold as the second intelligent species emerges. The book answers questions like:
The Second Intelligent Species offers a unique and fascinating look at the future of the human race, and the choices we will need to make to avoid massive unemployment and poverty worldwide as intelligent machines start eliminating millions of jobs.
- How will new computer vision systems affect the job market?
- How many people will become unemployed by the second intelligent species?
- What will happen to millions of newly unemployed workers?
- How can modern society and modern economies cope with run-away unemployment caused by robots?
- What will happen when the first sentient, conscious computer appears?
- What moral and ethical principles will guide the second intelligent species?
- Why do we see no extraterrestrials in our universe?
Two new books are coming in 2015 from Sterling Publishing:
- How God Works: A Logical Inquiry in Faith - (Barnes & Nobel)(Amazon)"Does God exist? Using an intellectually rigorous, scientific approach, Marshall Brain sets out to resolve the eternal debate once and for all. With a compelling sense of curiosity, he breaks down mankind's search for a higher power, tackling such quandaries as: Who is God? What are his attributes? What is God doing and why? How does God interact with humanity? And ultimately, how can humans know with certainty whether God is real or imaginary?How God Works is an enlightening journey in critical thinking that challenges readers to boldly approach the subject of personal faith and put aside intuition in favor of objectivity and logic."
- The Engineering Book: From the Catapult to the Curiosity Rover, 250 Milestones in the History of Engineering - "Engineering is where human knowledge meets real-world problems—and solves them. The book provides a detailed look at 250 milestones in the discipline from the various Engineering disciplines, including chemical, aerospace, and computer engineering, from ancient history to the present. The topics include architectural wonders like the Acropolis, the Great Wall of China, and the Eiffel Tower; transportation advances such as the supersonic jet and the high-speed bullet train; medical innovations, including the artificial heart and kidney dialysis; developments in communications, such as the undersea cables and the cell phone; as well as air conditioning, the Large Hadron Collider, Mars Colonies, and more."
- Things Oprah Wants to Know and You Do, Too! - Jan 19, 2006
- CNN Pipeline - March 3, 2006 (Topic: The Academy Awards)
- CNN Headline News - April 8, 2006 (Topic: Apple Boot Camp)
- CNN Prime News Tonight - April 10, 2006 (Topic: Gasoline prices)
- Modern Marvels: 80s Tech - May 24, 2006
- Modern Marvels: Benjamin Franklin
- CNN Headline News (Prime news with Erica Hill) - July 3, 2006 (Topic: Fireworks)
- NY1 - July 3, 2006 (Topic: Fireworks)
- Fox and Friends - July 5, 2006 (Topic: Kryptonite)
- National Geographic Channel - November 7, 2006 (Topic: Everyday things: Flushed)
- National Geographic Channel - November 7, 2006 (Topic: Everyday things: Close Shave)
- National Geographic Channel - November 8, 2006 (Topic: Everyday things: Shrink Wrapped)
- Modern Marvels: 70s Tech
- Things Oprah Wants to Know and You Do, Too! - Dec 21, 2006
- Fox and Friends - Dec 31, 2006 (Topic: Hangovers)
- Things Oprah Wants to Know and You Do, Too! - Dec 22, 2007
- Modern Marvels: 90s Tech - February 7, 2008
- "Who knew?" with Marshall Brain - March 2008
- Factory Floor with Marshall Brain - November 2008
- Singularity Summit Speaker
- Emcee for the NAE Grand Challenge Summit, featuring speakers such as Jeff Immelt and John Chambers, March, 2010
- Keynote Speaker for the PENC conference, June, 2010
- TEDx featured speaker on The Meaning of Life, October 2010
- ECE Distinguished Speakers Colloquium, The Meaning of Life, November 2010
- Graduation Speaker, NCSU Computer Science Department, December 2010
- FIRST Lego League NC State Championship emcee, January 2011
- University of Texas Distinguished Speaker Series, Your Spare Time is Your Most Important Time, and Other Thoughts on Making a Million Dollars - Febraury 2011
- Engineering Expo Keynote Speaker - March 2011
- MSNBC article and Interview, March 2011
- Appeared on Good Morning America and ABC News discussing the Dukan diet, April 2011
- Appeared on the Dr. Oz show, April 2011
- Engineering Education Dinner keynote speaker, October 2011
- Interview on To the Point (latter portion of the show), October 26, 2011
- Internet Summit 2011, Featured Thought Leaders, November 2011
- Recipient, NCSU Distinguished Alumnus Award, January 2012
- Speaker, Advancing Humanity Symposium at Stanford University, April 2012, "Effects of Robots on the Workforce"
- Speaker, American Humanist Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, June 2012, Plenary session, "The Meaning of Life"
- Keynote Speaker, FIRST FRC Competition, Dorton Arena, Raleigh, NC, March 2013
- Keynote Speaker, Kenan Fellows Dinner, Hunt Library, NCSU, Raleigh, NC, May 2013
- Panel moderator, Lab to Market Fulbright Enrichment Seminar, Raleigh, NC, May 2013
- Center for Policies on Emerging Technologies panel, Employment impacts of Emerging Technologies, July 2013
- TEDxNCSU, Getting over getting started, Raleigh, NC, March 2014
- London Futurists panel, Robots, unemployment, and basic income, May 2014
- Presentation, UNCG SSA, How God Works, September 11, 2014
- Presentation at the first meeting of SecularTogether.org, The Meaning of Life, September 14, 2014
- Basic Income AMA on Reddit, September 15, 2014
- Carolinas Secular Conference, How God Works, Charlotte, NC, September 27, 2014
- Presentations for SecularTogether.org on topics such as The Meaning of Life, Living a Life of Intent, Seeing the Big Picture, etc., September through December 2014
- Gorge on Manufacturing Night @The Forge Panelist, October 2, 2014
Profiles on Marshall Brain
Books by Marshall Brain
Marshall Brain's Bio
- Born in Santa Monica, California, on May 17, 1961.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York
- M.S. in Computer Science from North Carolina State University in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Taught in the computer science department at NCSU between 1986 and 1992
- Named to the Academy of Outstanding Teachers at NCSU in 1992.
- Started a software training and consulting company in Raleigh in 1992.
- Named one of the Carolinas' top entrepreneurs by Ernst & Young in 1999.
- Founded HowStuffWorks as a hobby in 1998 and turned it into a venture-backed startup in 2000.
- Won numerous awards while at HowStuffWorks including:
- Other Achievements:
- Author of more than a dozen books.
- Hundreds of live radio and television interviews on radio stations like WABC and TV networks like CNN.
- Hundreds of radio vignettes for the Cox radio network.
- Dozens of television news vignettes like this
- Host of the National Geographic show "Who Knew? with Marshall Brain"
Robots in 2015
Robotic Nation Evidence
The day you discard your body
Science on the Brain
How to make a million dollars
Raleigh - The City of the Future
Favorites from HowStuffWorks.com
Contact Information for